Elsa MacLeod Kindergarten has been educating and caring for ‘the youngest children of the oldest town’ for three generations since it was officially opened in 1962. It is named after Elsa MacLeod, to commemorate her tireless efforts in establishing Portland’s first kindergarten.
Elsa MacLeod was the first president of the Portland Pre-School Play Group, which opened in 1947. She was a theatrical performer in Perth before she married Hugh MacLeod, who was the Mayor of Portland from 1946 to 1948. She was involved in the Red Cross and served as the District Commissioner for Girl Guides for many years. In 1956, Elsa MacLeod commenced leadership of a lengthy campaign to found a first-rate kindergarten in Portland. This was achieved with the support of the Portland Apex Club, who assisted the committee in selecting and establishing the site on which our kindergarten continues to educate pre-school children today.